GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Israeli warships on Tuesday opened fire at fishermen off the coast of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, in an apparent violation of an agreed-upon three-day ceasefire, a union official said.
Nizar Ayyash, spokesman for Gaza’s fishermen union, told Ma’an that a number of Palestinian fishermen were near the shore when Israeli forces shot at them with machine guns.
No injuries were reported.
Israel and the Palestinian factions, including Gaza’s Hamas movement, have accepted an Egyptian proposal to cease fire from 0500 GMT on August 5 for at least three days. Osama Hamdan, a senior Hamas leader, and Mark Regev, a spokesman for the Israeli prime minister, confirmed the deal to Al Jazeera, with officials from each side pledging to commit to the truce and warning the other against violating it.
A spokesman for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees could not contain his grief on Wednesday after appearing on Al Jazeera Arabic to discuss the shelling of a UN-run school earlier in the day. With the cameras rolling, UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness breaks down into tears after discussing the attack.