Hundreds of children in Nepal have to make perilous journeys to school every day using gondola-like wire bridges built over dangerous rivers. Risking injury and death, many take the measure so they can get an education and make it to school. Al Jazeera’s Subina Shrestha reports from Dhading.
Soccer can be a great workout and lots of fun. The health benefits include:
- Increases aerobic capacity and cardiovascular health
- Lowers body fat and improves muscle tone
- Builds strength, flexibility and endurance
- Increases muscle and bone strength
- Improved health due to shifts between walking, running and sprinting.
There are many other benefits from playing a team sport like soccer. For example it:
- Is generally a non-contact sport
- Teaches coordination
- Promotes teamwork and sharing
- Teaches you to think on-the-go
- Helps to increase skills in concentration, persistence and self-discipline
- Is a great way to meet people and exercise with friends
- Can provide an opportunity to increase your confidence and self-esteem, and help to reduce anxiety
- Requires very little equipment so can be played in the backyard or park
- Is relatively easy to learn, so beginners can easily join in on the fun and play basic soccer for recreation
- Is an international sport.
To protect yourself from injury and prepare your body to play soccer, make sure you:
- Warm up your muscles and joints before starting
- Maintain your fitness to play well and avoid injury or fatigue
- Ensure you have plenty of fluids on hand and rehydrate regularly
- Don’t overdo it – depending on your age and physical condition.
- Wear the correct protective equipment.