Soccer can be a great workout and lots of fun. The health benefits include:
- Increases aerobic capacity and cardiovascular health
- Lowers body fat and improves muscle tone
- Builds strength, flexibility and endurance
- Increases muscle and bone strength
- Improved health due to shifts between walking, running and sprinting.
There are many other benefits from playing a team sport like soccer. For example it:
- Is generally a non-contact sport
- Teaches coordination
- Promotes teamwork and sharing
- Teaches you to think on-the-go
- Helps to increase skills in concentration, persistence and self-discipline
- Is a great way to meet people and exercise with friends
- Can provide an opportunity to increase your confidence and self-esteem, and help to reduce anxiety
- Requires very little equipment so can be played in the backyard or park
- Is relatively easy to learn, so beginners can easily join in on the fun and play basic soccer for recreation
- Is an international sport.
To protect yourself from injury and prepare your body to play soccer, make sure you:
- Warm up your muscles and joints before starting
- Maintain your fitness to play well and avoid injury or fatigue
- Ensure you have plenty of fluids on hand and rehydrate regularly
- Don’t overdo it – depending on your age and physical condition.
- Wear the correct protective equipment.