The Wikipedia entry of Menlo Park, California literally begins with the words “Menlo Park is an affluent suburb”. Apparently 21% of Menlo Park residents work at Facebook. In any case, it’s still in many ways a typical nice and quiet suburb of America. I know this because I’ve been there. I went there to visit my friend Scott.
Scott grew up in Menlo Park and he and I currently study at an Islamic liberal arts college in Berkeley, California called Zaytuna College. In this episode we get to hear about his life, his existential struggles, and the journey which eventually led him to Islam and now to Zaytuna College.
Yosemite National Park is a United States National Park spanning eastern portions of Tuolumne, Mariposa and Madera counties in the central eastern portion of the U.S. state of California. The park, which is managed by the National Park Service, covers an area of 747,956 acres (3,026.87 km2) and reaches across the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountain chain. Over 3.7 million people visit Yosemite each year.
The circus seal we often see balancing a ball on its nose and jumping through hoops is typically a California sea lion. But in the wild, the California sea lion is a sleek animal that is faster than any other sea lion or seal. They have been known to reach speeds up to 25 miles (40 kilometers) an hour! Unlike other sea lions, California sea lions do not have lion-like manes and live along the rocky Pacific Ocean coastlines of western North America and also near Ecuador’s Galápagos Islands. These people were about two miles off the coast of Newport Beach, California when this baby sea lion spotted this passenger boat. The sea lion was probably tired from swimming and ended up boarding the boat. What he did for the next hour will amaze you!
Wildfires have been spreading across California all summer. Hundreds of thousands of acres are already scorched, and the conditions are ideal fuel for more devastating blazes. Over 80 percent of California is in the midst of an exceptionally severe drought as a result of erratic weather patterns caused by climate change.
Biggest quake in decades knocks out power to about 40,000 homes and businesses in northern San Francisco area.
A 6.0-magnitude earthquake has rocked the northern San Francisco area, injuring dozens of people, damaging historic buildings, setting some homes on fire and causing power outages around the picturesque town of Napa.
This beach looks more like a beach than the Chinese Red Beach. However, this is no ordinary place for leisure. Glass Beach, located near Fort Bragg, California is abundant in sea glass created from years of dumping garbage into an area of coastline near the northern part of the town. It is now one of the popular tourist attractions, although collecting sea glass is not permitted. This might not count as a natural wonder, but nature really did its trick here.
- Although jaguars are often tawny-colored, they can vary from reddish-brown to black. Black jaguars are also called black panthers.
- A jaguar’s bite is twice as strong as a lion and it can crush heavy bones in large prey easily.
- The term “jaguar” comes from the Native American word “yaguar”, which means “he who kills with one leap.”
- Jaguar populations are rapidly declining due to habitat loss in South American rainforests and poaching for their fur.
- Jaguars were once found in the Western and Southern U.S. including Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico. However, the jaguar population was quickly eliminated in the U.S. and very few sightings have been recorded since the 1960s.
- Young cubs are born blind and helpless. They stay with their mother for about two years learning to hunt.