Dozens killed in New Year’s stampede in China
At least 35 people killed and dozens injured in a stampede during New Year’s celebrations in Shanghai
At least 35 people have been killed and dozens injured after a stampede broke out during New Year’s celebrations in the Chinese city of Shanghai, state-run media has said.
Citing Sina News, CCTV America said the the cause of the stampede on the Bund, the financial hub of Shanghai’s popular waterfront area, was still unclear.
At least 42 people were also injured, the report said.
Pictures posted on social media showed huge crowds surrounding people lying on the ground in the middle of the street, but they could not be immediately verified.
Authorities had earlier cancelled a New Year’s countdown with a 3D laser display at the Bund due to crowd concerns, the Shanghai Daily reported last week.
The event had been growing in popularity for three years, but last year’s turnout of some 300,000 people far exceeded authorities’ expectations, the report said.
Posted on December 31, 2014, in NEWS and tagged 2015 news, aljazeera, bund, China, chinese city, city, countdown, dozens, dozens killed, event, expectations, injured, killed, new year, new year deaths, new years, new years celebrations, news, People, popularity, shanghai, stampede, stampede shanghai. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.