Imam who was blinded in one eye after assault says he forgives attackers
Imam Salik, of the Hull mosque and Islamic centre, presented an alternative Christmas message in the local paper a few days ago in which he alluded to the attack last November.
Imam Salik was travelling in his car with his wife and daughter when a group of people stopped his car in the middle of the road, opened the driver’s door and punched him in the face before running off. Imam Salik suffered major injuries and has undergone several operations to his right eye though his vision is still severely impaired. Despite a police appeal for witnesses, the perpetrators have not been apprehended. Imam Salik’s son expressed concerns over the ‘stalled’ police investigation earlier this year prompting Humberside police to release CCTV images in an fresh attempt to identify the attackers.
Talking to the local paper about the attack, Imam Salik said:
“The people who did it got away and have not been located since.
“But if they came forward, I would still forgive them.
“I do not think it was a planned attack and everybody can make a mistake in their life.
“I forgive them for what they did and will let them go on with their life.”
Imam Salik spoke of the support shown to him by the local community saying,
“I would like to thank everybody for the support throughout the year.
“There have been cards, phone calls, messages and emails from the general public, my friends and my family.
“People still come up and ask me how I am now.
“I really appreciate the support that everyone has given me.”
Posted on December 30, 2014, in NEWS and tagged attack, christmas, eye, hull daily mail, hull mosque, iengage, imam, imam salik, impaired, injuries, investigation, islam, islamic, islamic centre, local, mosque, news, november, operations, paper, People, police, witnesses, words. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.