Qualities of the Khawārij Sect Found Amongst Some Muslims Today
By: Suhaib Webb
The Khawārij were a group who tried to exceed the piety established by the Prophet (sa). In fact, that caused them to question his positions and even kill some of his companions (ra). In an excellent book titled Studies on Religious Cults and Muslim History (Dirasāt al-Furuq wa Tārīkh al-Muslimīn) the writer gathers a number of qualities of the Khawārij, who in the name of piety, do more damage than good. Here are a few. Inshallah, I plan to translate them all in the future.
1. They judge the hearts and intentions of people, holding their assumptions about them to be the truth. Thus, they speak to the objects of their assumptions in wretched ways and treat them with distain. All based on their suspicions, not clear texts or proofs. Thus, the word munfaiq and kafir ooze from their mouths like water from drainage pipes.
2. They distance themselves from the larger body of Muslims, undermining their institutions and leadership
3. They focus on verses of Qur’an and sayings of the Prophet (sa) that contain threats, leaving those of promise and hope
4. They seek to undermine religious scholars and leaders
5. They use the concept of inviting to the good and forbidding the evil to kill and harm the innocent, even Muslims or, at the least, mistreat them.
6. They will help the Dajāl. When Sayyidunā ‘Ali (ra) had eliminated them, a person said, “All praise be to God, who by their elimination has given rest to his servants.” Sayyidunā ‘Ali responded, “Nay! There are still remnants of them in the loins of men. They will fight with the Dajāl.”
7. They love the Sunna until it fails to agree with their desires
8. Their worship is plentiful and their fashion for faith high, but they are the “worst of creation” and the “dogs of hell,” as noted in an authentic hadith of our beloved Prophet (sa).
9. They do more to harm the truth in the name of truth, pushing people in droves away from the light of Allah (swt).
10. They have a sickness in their heart that causes them to lust for power and control, using religion has a gown to cover their illness. This is in the hadith of Abu Umāma (I will translate soon; inshallah) where the Prophet (sa) describes them as such.
11. They use verses and hadith that bring fear to the hearts, ignoring those that inspire hope. Once Sayyidina ‘Ali saw a man crying over his sins. He said, “What is wrong with you; God’s grace is greater than your sins!”
12. They undermine the scholars, the pious, and activists. One of them said to the Prophet (sa), “Be just (you are not just).” They worked to undermine the scholarship of Ibn ‘Abbas, ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar and ‘Aisha (ra), and they were rude and harsh with Sayyidinā ‘Ali (ra). Today we find folks with the same traits. They speak ill to, and about, the people of knowledge and those who work for Allah
13. They use verses of the Qur’an and hadith, but do not have the skills to interpret them correctly, or interpret them wrong to fight their insecure desires. The will devalue Arabic and the fundamentals of interpretation, strengthening their desires as interpretive instruments
14. They use verses of the Qur’an and Hadith that talk about the rejecters of faith and the people of Hell, applying them to Muslims as was noted by ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar (ra)
15. They distance themselves from the Muslim community – living in cults. Imam al-Shāttibi wrote, “Historically, those who brought the greatest trials to humanity were those who thought they were the saved sect.”
A glance at history proves that the greatest carriers of falsehood, the greatest underminers of the people of good, were those who claimed to be on the truth, exclusive to others. Today you will find them denouncing every mosque and Imam in their city, preferring to obey the 27 whispers of the desires, instead of gaining the 27 blessings for praying in the mosque with the congregation. They will create blogs to attack Imams, ignoring the Islamophobes and others. They suck the capacity from the Umma, forcing it to address them instead of other things. For that reason the Prophet (sa) said, “They are the worst of creation; the dogs of Hell.”
16. They take the explicit meanings of sacred texts, ignoring interpretation and analogy
17.They claim to follow only two foundations from the foundations of Shari’ah, The Qur’an and Sunna, ignoring ‘Ijmā,’ Qiyās, Masala Mursalah, Istihsān and Istishāb
18. They are quick to label others as kaffir and Munafiq although the latter was never used by the Prophet (sa) or the Salaf. Takfir is left to a qualified Mufti or Qadi
19. They do not respect institutions or institutional work. This is rooted in their hatred for the community of the Prophet (sa) – The Umma – who they claim to love when it serves their destructive ambitions. The murdered Sayyidanā ‘Uthmān and Sayyidanā ‘Ali (God be pleased with them both) in the name of the Umma
20.Their outward adherence to faith increases they arrogance towards others. Ibn Jawizi wrote, “How many of them boast about having their pants above their ankles, while looking down at those who don’t. Foolish; they cancel the adherence to the sunna with a disease in their hearts.”
May Allah bless us and guide us to be on a way pleasing to him. I translated these from the book mentioned before, adding notes and commentary where I felt it was needed.Each of these points is supported by authentic hadīth and explanations of Quranic verses by the salaf.
Posted on September 7, 2014, in ARTICLES and tagged Allah, amongst, blessings, concept, damage, Education, falsehood, found, future, God, good, Hadith, harm, history, islam, islamic education, islamophobes, just, khawarij, knowledge, leadership, learn, muslims, muslims today, online, pbuh, People, prophet muhammad, qualities, read, read islam, read islamic article, reason, religious, saw, sect, sins, some, source, suhaib webb, Sunna, today, truth, umma, verses, website. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.