History of Tétouan, Morocco
The battle of Tetouan took place in 1859 – 1861 between the Spanish Army Of Africa and the Moroccan Army. This battle was a part of the Spanish – Moroccan War. The Spanish Army was composed of 36,000 men, 65 pieces of artillery, and 41 ships. Their objection was to take Tetouan which was lead by the prime minister of Spain and 1st Duke of Morocco, Leopoldo O’Donnell. The Spanish divided the army into three columns commanded by Juan Zavala de la Puente, Antonio Ros de Olano, and Ramon de Echague. The reserves were controlled by Juan Prim, and the Fleet was commanded by admiral Segundo Diaz Herrero. The battle erupted on December 17, 1859 by the column commanded by Zavala de la Puente. December 19, 1859 Echague captured the Palacio del Serrallo. On December 21st, O’Donnell commanded a squad that arrived at Ceuta. On Christmas Day the three columns were waiting to get orders to attack Tetouan. At the start of 1860 Juan Prim advanced toward the Guad al Gelu. Zavala’s column and the Spanish Navy guarded Prim’s flank. Melees from this continued until the 31st of January 1861. The city eventually fell on February 6th, 1861. When O’Donnell returned he made camp north of Madrid that eventually became a town called Tetuan de las Victorias.
Posted on August 5, 2014, in ARTICLES and tagged Africa, army, article, battle of tetouan, city, commanded, fact, maroc, marokko, Morocco, north morocco, read, spanish, tetouan, tetuan, town. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.